Last week I got three bunches of arugula in my market basket. It was my totally my fault. I tried to sub something out, but must have hit arugula as the substitution. And of course didn’t think twice about double-checking my selection. Now I really like arugula, but this provided a bit of a challenge. I searched through a couple of my favorite sites and found this excellent salad on Food52. We all really like farro – it makes a much more interesting and healthy alternative to pasta salads. This one is full of good stuff: chewy farro, rich pesto, fresh mozzarella and tomato to cut the richness. Oh, and it’s a visual treat as well. What little leftover we had didn’t last. So, tasty it will get you to bring home some extra arugula just to make it. Enjoy!
Food 52 Farro & Fresh Mozzarella Salad with Arugula Pesto
For the pesto:
- 2cups arugula, washed and dried
- 1teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2cup walnuts, toasted
- 1cup Manchego or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 to 1/2cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the salad
- 2cups cooked farro
- 1/2cup tomatoes, 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 8ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
1. With the exception of the olive oil combine all the pesto ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse it a few times to form a paste.
2. With the processor running drizzle in a 1/4 cup of oil and blend. If it seems wet enough do not add more oil but if it seems dry add a teaspoon or two.
3. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. In a mixing bowl combine the farro with half the pesto and mix it to combine. Add the tomatoes, pepper flakes, lemon juice, chives, and mozzarella. Toss the salad to combine and taste. Adjust the seasoning if necessary or add more pesto if you think it needs it. Serve.